Education & Training
At Boston Orthotics & Prosthetics, our priority is producing the best products and using them to improve the lives of our pediatric patients. We continually test them in our clinics, refine them, and then test them again. This allows us to always be at the forefront of providing the best patient care possible.
To that end, we have created a new training program for clinicians to reinforce the Boston O&P methodology for treating pediatric patients to help you provide outstanding patient care.
Online Topics - NEW
Seven courses are currently offered. More details are available by clicking this button. eLearning Center
Course 1: The Boston Brace Student Course. Understanding the non-operative treatment of idiopathic scoliosis with the Original Boston Brace System.
Course 2: The Boston Brace 3D® Course. This course is designed for the more seasoned professionals who are familiar with scoliosis and want to learn about these new advanced bracing options.
Course 4: The Boston Brace Night Shift Course. Nighttime bracing has gained popularity because of its effectiveness in treating scoliosis during sleeping hours. Having to wear a scoliosis brace all day can be tough for young teens, so having the nighttime option may increase compliance.
Course 5: The Boston Brace RC Course. Want to learn about our version of the Rigo-Cheneau brace? The Boston Brace RC is an asymmetrical, anterior opening, custom fabricated scoliosis orthosis. This is a custom made brace from a scan of the patient and incorporates the principles of the Rigo-Cheneau brace.
Course 6: The Boston Band Course. Developed in conjunction with specialists in cranio-facial (plastic surgery) and pediatric neurology as an effective helmet solution to the problem of positional plagiocephaly, brachycephaly, asymmetrical brachycephaly, as well as for post-operative craniosynostosis patients.
Course 7: Introduction to the Dynamic Movement Orthosis (DMO). Dynamic Movement Orthoses (DMO) are form fitting orthoses that use dynamic elastomeric fabric to provide a proprioceptive and biomechanical effect that helps guide and control movement for the patient.
Additional online courses are in development. Next up will be courses on neuromuscular scoliosis, scanning, and our compliance monitor, the Pressure Sensor.
Live Course Topics
Boston O&P offers four unique live training segments:
- Scoliosis bracing
- Cranial remolding helmets
- Dynamic Movement Orthoses (DMOs)
- Rodin4D CAD/CAM technology and scanning
Courses will cater to a variety of knowledge levels, from introductory to more advanced concepts. Courses will also offer hands-on training and will address our multi-disciplinary approach.
Rodin4D CAD/CAM technology and scanning will be a portion of every full-day course. In addition, webinars on advanced modification techniques will be offered on a regular basis.
Courses vary in length depending on the subject and the skill level of the student. CEU course credits are available for each class.
- Scoliosis: 2 days
- The Boston Brace 3D is the next innovation in the non-operative treatment of idiopathic scoliosis. Boston O&P clinical experts have combined knowledge of the three dimensional scoliosis curvature with the latest in shape capture and CAD/CAM technologies. This enhanced brace design comes from the unique and selective shift/push combination of corrective forces that are fabricated into each brace. Hands on learning will ensure participants demonstrate the ability to use hand held shape-capturing technology along with standard X-ray analysis for the custom fabrication of the Boston Brace 3D orthosis. Clinical management of the idiopathic scoliosis patient, outcome measurement and reporting will be reviewed.
- The 2 day course covers the basics of scoliosis bracing techniques through the more advanced concepts of the Boston Brace 3D. This advanced course is for attendees who are very familiar with treating scoliosis and treat multiple patients annually.
- Cranial Remolding Helmets: 1 day
- The Boston Band Cranial Remolding Orthosis has proven to be an effective device in the treatment of positional deformational plagiocephaly and brachycephaly. It is also effective in the post-operative management of surgically treated craniosynostosis patients. Hands on learning will ensure participants demonstrate the ability to use hand held shape-capturing technology, utilization of the unique Boston O&P multi-layering technique as well as the other fabrication options such as the hinged opening to ease donning and follow up adjustments. Clinical management and Boston O&P universal outcome measurement and reporting will be reviewed.
- Dynamic Movement Orthoses: 1 day, including follow-up with actual patients when needed
- Recent literature has shown the efficacy of the use of dynamic elastomeric fabric orthosis in the management of the neuromuscular patient presenting with low tone, spasticity and/or sensory integration involvement. This course will instruct clinicians on the evaluation, design, and measurement process to provide this unique device.
- Rodin4D CAD/CAM technology and scanning: Integrated as a part of the above three courses
- This training, along with the on-line webinars, will take you through the scanning and modification process used at Boston Orthotics & Prosthetics. Three courses addressing various levels of knowledge - Basic, Intermediate, Advanced have been designed to address all interests and skill levels.
Who Should Attend?
Our courses were designed for anyone involved in the treatment of patients, including:
- Certified Orthotists
- Certified Orthotic Assistants
- Physical Therapists
- MDs, PhDs or DPTs
Instructors will be clinicians from Boston O&P, who have years of experience using these products.
Boston Brace/Boston Brace 3D Course Instructors
- John Berteletti, CO
- Mike Kitchen, BOCO
- Hector Paez, BOCO
- James Wynne, CPO, FAAOP
- James “Rusty” Miller, CPO
- Jamie Benelli, CPO
Boston Band Instructors
Dynamic Movement Orthosis Instructors
Rodin4D Technology and Scanning Instructors
Live courses will be held in the Boston O&P corporate offices in Avon, MA, just south of Boston. Courses may also be held at regional events, national shows, and even in-service events if demand is warranted.
In addition, Basic, Intermediate and Advanced CAD modification webinars are offered on a regular basis throughout the year.
Live courses will be billed at cost. The per-class, per-student cost is $150. This fee will cover all costs of the course, training materials, registration fees and food provided during the course. After costs have been covered, any remaining funds will be donated to support groups such as Curvy Girls.
How to Register
Simply sign up here by clicking the button below or respond to one of our emails about training. Many of our courses sell out, in these cases we give first priority to existing customers on seating.