Shana Garland, CPO, DPT
Certified Prosthetist Orthotist, Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Pediatric lower extremity orthotics
- Pediatric physical therapy
Education, Certifications, Memberships
- Board Certified Orthotist/Prosthetist, ABC
- Virginia state licensed, Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Bachelor of Arts, Physical Education, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC; 1999
- Masters of Physical Therapy, University of Saint Augustine for Health Sciences, Saint Augustine, FL; 2003
- Doctorate of Physical Therapy, Clinical, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2011
- Post Graduate Certificate in Orthotics, Northwestern Feinburg School of Medicine, 2011
- Post Graduate Certificate in Prosthetics Northwestern Feinburg School of Medicine, 2012
- Licensed Certified Athletic Trainer, State of VA
- Member of American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), VA
- Member of American Orthotic and Prosthetic Association, Gait Society
- Past chair of Women in O&P within the American Orthotic & Prosthetic Association, 2017-2019
Philosophy: When I work with my patients, I treat each person as if he/she were a family member, giving my upmost attention, respect, and dedication to determining the best care for that person. I tailor my care to each person to meet each individual where they are in order to meet their specific goals.
Bio: My junior summer in high school, I volunteered at a local hospital within the physical therapy department. Through that experience, I knew that I wanted to help individuals as a physical therapist. While working as a physical therapist in an outpatient center, I saw many patients who benefited from a variety of devices including TLSOs, AFOs, and above and below the knee prostheses. I believe in going the extra mile with the care of my patients. My experiences with patients sparked a desire to combine the knowledge that I had gained from physical therapy with orthotics and prosthetics because I always thought these fields went hand in hand
I have enjoyed working with children in a variety of different settings. I have volunteered with local Paralympic team sports of sled hockey and paracanoeing as well as volunteered at the Colorado Olympic training center. I currently work in a pediatric outpatient center and hospital. Each experience is very rewarding to me because every time I feel as if I am making a difference in a child’s life.
I am excited I joined Boston O&P team in central Virginia dedicated to pediatrics.